The DI503J is a triple mode Direct Box for instrument and a Re-Amp unit for the '500' format of API*.
FREE DELIVERY from 900€ (excl. VAT)
Why Analog ?
Since the days of vacuum tubes to nanotransistors today, each leap of the technology has seen the birth of a few outstanding products in professional audio which have become, over time, legends.
Todayˈs plugins are very competent but our computers are still far from having enough power to simulate all the analog components that make up these devices, with all their features and imperfections, forcing developers to make simplifications. Thatˈs why we generally prefer the real analog thing.
Our goal is to revive these legendary products and make them accessible to all.
The products are proposed in kit form, to minimize cost as far as possible. They are also available built and tested for the non technicians.
Why DIY ?
Building your gear gives you several major advantages:
- It cuts down the cost : You are saving a major part of the cost which comes from workmanship.
- It is customizable : You will get many options of circuit topologies, components choice, and settings that will allow you to tailor your gear to your needs and get a unique sound.
- It gives you a better knowledge of your gear : By getting a better understanding of your gear you will be using it more efficiently and creatively.
- It makes you able to service it, should it, after many years of troublefree running, need a potentiometer or a switch replacement.
Why a Sound Skulptor kit ?
- A professional design: The Sound Skulptor products are designed with care by musicians and engineers with a long experience in electronics. We give them a modern form: Compact design, easy build, some new features, but always keeping what makes their character.
- A guarantee of success: Our kits always work! In case of difficulty, our technical support helps you to correct the issues. In the most difficult cases (seldom), our repair service troubleshoots your product.
- One single source: All the components are included in our kits, from the large transformers to the smallest screw, including those "impossible to find" components. This means a single shipping cost and no need to buy parts by 10 or 100. In the end, substantial savings.
- A serious partner: Sound Skulptor is a solid partner with more than 15 years of existence that will be able to follow you in your future projects.
Can you D.I.Y. ?
Every effort is done in our designs to make the building process easy. Complex hook-up wiring has been completely avoided by the use of PCB components (potentiometers, switches, transformers ...) and flat cable connections.
Anybody that is capable of doing a clean solder joint, carefully following our step by step Construction Guides and using a digital multimeter should be able to successfully build these kits. Check our D.I.Y. page.
In the case you would fail to build one of our kits, we propose a repair service that will fix it for you.
If you are not confident enough in your DIY skills, there is an option of choosing fully assembled kits.
The MP573 is a two stages, single ended class A preamp, based on the design that was originally used in the Neve 1290/1073 modules, that has been adapted to the 500 series of API.
The SK49 is a large diaphragm condenser tube microphone. The design was inspired by the legendary Neumann M49 with the addition of intermediary patterns and a switchable high pass filter.
The SK49 sounds fantastic, warm and clear on all sources.
The EQ573-II is an parametric equalizer based on the design that was originally used in the Neve 1073 and 1084 modules, that has been adapted to the '500' format of API*.
The TS500 is an analog processor that recreates the sonic imprint of vintage tape recorders. It provides the roundness, the punch, the compression and the saturation of magnetic tape.
The EQP501 is a passive equalizer based on the classic PULTEC EQP 1A, adapted to the '500' format of API*.
The XT500 is an extension cable which lets you connect a 500 series module to your lunchbox while keeping it outside for easy setting or maintenance.
The CP554 is a transformer coupled diode bridge compressor based on the design of legendary British consoles, adapted to the 500 series format.
The REM624 is a remote control unit for the MC624 Monitor Controler.
It offers the same contols as the central unit (except headphones volume).
The CP5176 is a FET compressor based on the design that was originally used in the 1176 compressor, which has been adapted to the '500' format of API*.
The LA502 is a soft knee, electro-optical compressor based on the LA2A/LA3A design, which we have adapted to the '500' series format of API*.
The AB528 is a transformers coupled, class A mic preamp. The design, from the late 60's, is inspired by a legendary console, that was used at the most famous London studio by the greatest artists, such as the Beatles or Pink Floyd.
The MC624 is similar to the monitor section of a mixing desk: it lets you select one out of six stereo audio sources, adjust the level and route it to one of four monitor outputs.
The SK501 is a single slot, 500 series compatible case and power supply.
The PAD500 is a dual balanced line attenuator. It is used after a mic preamp or any effect that you want to drive hot without clipping your converters.
The MU524 is a Variable Mu tube compressor which, with the help of two transformers, provides a smooth and vintage sounding soft knee compression.
The CP4500 is a Stereo bus compressor based on the design that was originally used in a legendary British console, adapted to the 500 series format of API*. It is famous for adding punch and glue to the mixes.
The MP566 is a dual-triode vacuum tube circuit preamplifier based on a design that has been used in several famous devices from the 50's, which has been adapted to the '500' format of API*.
This screwdriver has a recessed head at one end which prevents it from sliding off the trimmer potentiometer head you are adjusting. Very convenient when you are working inside your lunchbox.
The SK25 and SK99 are discrete Op-Amps which are pin compatible with the API* 2520. They are low noise, high performance DOA's specially developed for audio applications.
The MP 599 is based on one SK99 discrete Op-Amp, one Lundahl input transformer and one Lundahl output transformer.