Author Topic: Pop sound and some smoke upon testing

November 22, 2022, 04:45:43 AM
Read 577 times

dmq6

• View Profile
I had begun the setup process on my CP5176 and upon plugging the unit into my 500 extension cable, there was a pop and a bit of smoke coming from somewhere around the power transformer. The power button is unresponsive (no green light) and I don't register any voltage when checking the test points as per the instructions.

Hope I did not ruin the whole unit! I think I just need help isolating what could be causing the unit to not turn on or respond, whether it was the pop sound or if I need to just start checking every component from the top. Thank you!

November 22, 2022, 07:42:09 AM
Reply #1

JPK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Remove the DOA.
Check that R56 and R57 are measuring OK in circuit.
One of them may have burnt. If not conducting anymore, you need to replace one or both.
Then power up again. Turn off quickly the LED's does not light up.
JPK

November 22, 2022, 06:27:32 PM
Reply #2

dmq6

• View Profile
Thank you! Could I ask, how should I check that R56 and R57 are ok in the circuit? 

I have followed the setup guidelines. When I use my meter to check voltage on V- (black probe to test point 0V) I get 16 volts but on V+ I get .001volts. Also when I test TP7 I get a zero reading.

November 23, 2022, 08:34:12 AM
Reply #3

JPK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Simply measure the value of the resistor with your DMM in Ohm position without de-soldering the resistor from the PCB.
If it shows a higher value than 5.6 ohms then it is probably dead.
JPK