Author Topic: Soldering Positive voltage regulator

August 14, 2021, 06:39:40 AM
Read 1209 times

treeants

• View Profile
Hello Sound Skulptor Team
Thanks for your amazing kits, I am loving diving into this DIY world :)

I am onto my second TS500 build.

On both my kits I have had issues with getting a nice solder from the 'Positive voltage regulator' (Part number LM1086) onto the PCB board.

I realize the Positive voltage regulator is thick and might need more time to heat up or maybe my Iron needs to be hotter.
But either way, the end result has not been pretty :( 
Any ideas on what technique I can use to help make the solder run smoother onto the PCB.

Big thanks

August 15, 2021, 08:30:29 AM
Reply #1

JPK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You need a good heat transfer from the iron to the component so, you must use a big enough tip on the iron. Avoid the needle type.
Then you must heat the regulator metal tab until the solder starts flowing nicely. If your iron is set to a 320°C temperature max, there is no risk of overheating the component.
JPK

August 16, 2021, 03:48:08 PM
Reply #2

treeants

• View Profile
Thanks JPK 
As always you are great with prompt support.
Really appreciate that.
I'll give it a go with a bigger solder tip.
Cheers
Isaac

August 17, 2021, 12:11:57 AM
Reply #3

Ricardus

• View Profile
Bigger tip is great, and also try adding some flux all around the joint, and that will help transfer the heat better. Just make sure it is flux for electronics.

Just as an FYI, you should have a collection of tips for your iron. I have tips from 1.2 mm chisel style up to 3.2 mm, with 4 sizes inbetween, and having some super fine tips for soldering surface mount components and even things like the pins on a Grayhill switch like on the MP573s.