Author Topic: CP4500 meter intermittently unresponsive

May 04, 2024, 07:42:13 PM
Read 31 times

kokopel

• View Profile
Hi

I purchased a second hand CP4500, it is very well built and mostly everything works/is calibrated perfectly.  It's probably the best SSL style compressor I've ever heard and used (better even than genuine G Comp).

There is one small problem with the compression meter though...

Every now and again it's as though it is "stuck" at the zero position only moving very slightly like 1-2mm even though high compression is going on as expected.  When this happens if I raise the level of the signal being fed into the compressor by a large margin it becomes "unstuck" and works as normal (for a while) even when the input signal is back to normal.

I should say this is only happening around 10% of the time it is in use.

It is compressing correctly and when the meter works it shows the correct amount of compression.

Could this be a mechanical problem with the meter itself or could it be the driver circuit?  Are there any other components to look at which could be causing this?

Many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 07:46:01 PM by charliecola »

May 06, 2024, 05:34:35 PM
Reply #1

JPK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
First, I would check the connections between the meter and the PCB, in particular the female connector on the PCB side.
JPK

May 07, 2024, 10:15:38 PM
Reply #2

kokopel

• View Profile
Hi

Thank you very much for this advice, I re-seated the connectors and it hasn't shown the problem since.

Amazing sounding compressor this... congratulations on a fantastic design!