CP5176 FET Compressor
The CP5176 is a FET compressor based on the design that was originally used in the 1176 compressor, which has been adapted to the '500' format of API*.
This compressor became extremely popular because of some specific characteristics such as its ultra-fast attack time, as well as its unique sound, due to the FET transistor, the class A and the transformers.
It is typically used for compressing snare, vocals, guitars or drum bus in stereo.
The CP5176 adds a few features to the original 1176 such as a new ratio of 2, a high-pass filter in the side chain and a variation in the FET gain reduction circuit that produces more distortion.
Just install it in your API* compatible LunchboxTM rack and start working.
- Original Cinemag (Reichenbach) transformers on input and output,
- 5 ratios + SLAM mode (all buttons mode),
- All discrete class A audio path,
- DOA based, API* 2520 compatible, output stage (discrete Op-Amp),
- High pass filter in the sidechain,
- Distortion mode adds 3% of second harmonic, close to Rev A,
- High resolution gain reduction meter,
- Available assembled or as a full kit (everything included
1 Input Potentiometer that sets the signal level before compression. It defines the compression threshold.
2 Out Potentiometer that set the signal level after compression (make up gain).
3 Ratio Rotary switch that sets the compression ratio from 2 to 20. Ratio 2, allowing more subtle compressions, has been added to the original circuit. The SLAM mode is the "all buttons pressed" on the 1176.
4 Attck Potentiometer that sets the attack time: The delay before the compressor starts reducing gain.
5 Rel Potentiometer that sets the release time: Time that the compressor takes before returning to the "no gain reduction" state.
6 Gr High resolution gain reduction display: 16 LED's from -1dB to -22dB.
7 HPF Inserts a 80 Hz high-pass filter in the sidechain. Produces a Fat sound and eliminates bass driven pumping.
8 Dist Modifies the signal balance on the FET, adding second harmonic distortion. Close to the Rev A version of 1176.
9 Link Connects two compressors in stereo mode.
10 LED that shows the bypass status.
11 Off Compressor bypass button (hardware by relay).
1 Original Cinemag input transformer.
2 All discrete audio path with high grade components.
3 Discrete Op-Amp output circuit, pin compatible with API* 2520.
4 Original Cinemag output transformer.
5 Easy setup of 3 trimmers with a voltmeter, without iteration.
6 16 LED's gain reduction meter.
What's in the kit?
- Passive components (resistors, capacitors, inductors),
- 2 Cinemag transformers
- Active components (diodes, transistors, LED's, IC's),
- Pre assembled and tested Discrete Op-Amp,
- Front panel elements (switches, potentiometers, knobs),
- Connectors, relay,
- Front panel and side panel,
- All hardware.
You bring the solder (use good quality solder, 1mm diameter max) and the Lunchbox.
The CP5176 kit has an medium difficulty level. Nothing very difficult but a rather large number of components.
The setup is simple but requires using a good quality AC voltmeter.
|Idle supply current
||No input signal
||V+ : +70mA
V- : -65 mA
|Maximum input level
||defined by input transformer
|Maximum output level before clip
||6 Hz - 27 kHz
|Total harmonic distortion (THD) f=1kHz
||without gain reduction
|with gain reduction
|DIST Button ON
||from 20 us to 20 ms
||from 50 ms to 1.5 s
* API is a registered Trademark of Automated Processes Inc.